cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Help

User - Business One to Many relationship

hafiz
New Contributor II

Is it possible for 1 user to have many businesses as parent? Is it supposed to be one to one relationship? 

also, is it mandatory for a user to be a child of a business? 

4 REPLIES 4

ColeCallahan
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @hafiz , thanks for posting your question here in the Marqeta dev community. Glad to have you join us. This is a great question. I was looking through some of our resources on the docs site and we have a whole guide on parent-child relationships. Check out the doc here - https://www.marqeta.com/docs/developer-guides/about-account-holders#_parent_child_relationships

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

hafiz
New Contributor II

Thanks for the reply @ColeCallahan  , I have actually went through the whole documentation.  I was able to understand it is almost not possible for a child to have multiple parent, unless we create a parent user and inherit 2 different users from that, But it cannot still solve my use case. 

My use case has customer A and businesses 1, business 2.  customer A can allocate fund to business 1 and 2 in the form of prepayment, after going through docs i was able to understand that by using uses_parent_account as true money can be deducted from the customer's parent account while making the transaction. and I was able conclude that If I set business 1 as parent of customer A, when making transaction money will be deducted from business 1, This is perfect for my use case, so far,

But What will be happen if customer A make transaction at business 2 ? money will be still deducting from business 1's balance,right? 

How can I achieve this? I want money to be deducted from business 1 when customer is making payment to business 1 and as well as when making payment to business 2, the deducting account should be of business 2 

nsharma
New Contributor

Hi Hafiz,
So the cards cannot be issue to a business but can only be issued to a user. 
Typically,
Customer A will have a Business A and then User 11, User 21.. so on. All transaction done by these users would use funds allocated to Business A and thus Customer A.
Customer B will have a Business B and then User 21, User 22....so on, similarly all transactions done by these users would use funds allocated to Business B and this Customer B..

Now you can chose to have 2 or business to each Customer. In that case user will always spend from account allocated to each business (But the funds would still belong in that single Customer). 
Hope that makes sense. 

Nalin

hafiz
New Contributor II

Yes that makes little bit more sense, so you are suggesting a hierarchy something like this?

Business 1 > Customer A > user 1, user 2

Business 2 > Customer B > user 1, user 2 

How can this be possible, because it looks opposite to what mentioned in documentation