April 27, 2024
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Help

Can I collect the interchange fees for each transaction?

Can I collect the interchange fees for each transaction?

BrianWalczak
New Contributor II

Many companies that use Marqeta apparently make money from interchange fees. Can I collect the interchange fees for each transaction?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

twalson
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Brian! Thanks for your question in the Community. 

Here is how we explain interchange fees in our Glossary:
Payment networks like Visa and Mastercard determine the interchange fee for processing payment cards transactions. Interchange fees are typically paid by the merchant’s bank (the acquirer) to the customer’s bank (the issuing bank). In the United States, interchange fees average between one and two percent of the transaction (200 bips).

Interchange collected by card programs varies upon many different factors, but it is an opportunity for many of our customers to generate revenue via interchange. 

Thanks,

Tyler

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

twalson
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Brian! Thanks for your question in the Community. 

Here is how we explain interchange fees in our Glossary:
Payment networks like Visa and Mastercard determine the interchange fee for processing payment cards transactions. Interchange fees are typically paid by the merchant’s bank (the acquirer) to the customer’s bank (the issuing bank). In the United States, interchange fees average between one and two percent of the transaction (200 bips).

Interchange collected by card programs varies upon many different factors, but it is an opportunity for many of our customers to generate revenue via interchange. 

Thanks,

Tyler

That's great to hear, thanks Tyler!