Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Help

Webhook idempotency and retry period

Webhook idempotency and retry period

drewdrewh
New Contributor

I am working on making my webhook processor idempotent by storing event tokens with a TTL. Is the retry period of 12 days related to the possibility of receiving a duplicate webhook notification? In other words, can I assume that i will only ever need to store an event token for a max of slightly over 12 days to avoid duplicate events or are these two unrelated?

4 REPLIES 4

reneemq
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @drewdrewh .  I am looking into your question but need a bit more information as there are various scenarios.  Can you kindly provide more details on your use case?  

drewdrewh
New Contributor

Hi @reneemq , According to your documentation there is a concern for possibly receiving duplicate  events. In order to mitigate this is I am storing the tokens of events i have successfully processed in a DynamoDb table so that if i am sent an event that is already in my database i will ignore it. I want to store these tokens for a predetermined length of time (an expiration). I want to configure this expiration window to be long enough so that i can ensure i will not receive a duplicate event anytime after expiration. Is there known window as to how long after initial creation a duplicate event may be delivered to my webhook processor? I automatically correlated this to the idea that you retry notifications up to 12 days so i assumed that to be your upper limit. 

reneemq
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @drewdrewh .  Thanks so much for this.  I will be back with more details once I relay this to our teams. 

Hi @reneemq it also seems as if sandbox webhooks are down. This has been the case since yesterday. I have been receiving Service unavailable responses when attempting to create a webhook.