Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Help

Gateway-style approval for ACH debit

Gateway-style approval for ACH debit

pb-cons
New Contributor III

Looking over the ACH Origination docs here, I see that ACH debit transactions (sending money from a Marqeta account to another account) appears to be possible.  Also, Webhooks related to ACH events are mentioned here.

Can a webhook be setup to approve ACH debit transactions, similar to JIT Gateway approval?  Is this possible in a program setup for JIT Gateway funding?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pb-cons
New Contributor III

Hi @bmo thanks for the reply.

I think that I found more information here:

ACH origination for cardholders is enabled for Marqeta-managed programs only, and support for Gateway JIT use cases is currently unavailable. For details, contact your Marqeta representative.

So it looks like it's true that ACH origination is not possible in a Gateway JIT program?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

bmo
Marqeta Staff
Marqeta Staff

When you are using our /banktransfers endpoint to originate ACH transactions, you will be the one initiating those push/pull transactions and are in control of when those transactions take place.

If you are already using Gateway JIT funding, you can still take advantage of our /banktransfers endpoint. Gateway JIT implementation determines how card authorizations are approved when cardholders are making card purchases, where as /banktransfers is originating a bank-to-bank ACH transaction to fund the reserve (ahead of those JIT transactions taking place that will draw on your reserve)

pb-cons
New Contributor III

Hi @bmo thanks for the reply.

I think that I found more information here:

ACH origination for cardholders is enabled for Marqeta-managed programs only, and support for Gateway JIT use cases is currently unavailable. For details, contact your Marqeta representative.

So it looks like it's true that ACH origination is not possible in a Gateway JIT program?

bmo
Marqeta Staff
Marqeta Staff

The key phrase in that statement is 'origination for cardholders', versus 'origination for the program reserve'. If you are using ACH origination to pull funds into your reserve account, and then subsequently just-in-time funding purchases from your reserve (via Gateway JIT or Managed JIT), that should be supported. 

If you're wanting to use ACH origination to pull funds into a cardholder account, you would typically rely on the cardholder account balance rather than use a JIT funding gateway to make authorization decisions (like a pre-funded model). Please note that this is not a concrete rule - there are multiple factors that go into deciding how programs are approved and support for this particular use case is growing.

Because Marqeta's  capabilities around ACH origination and just-in-time decisioning are rapidly evolving, it's always best to connect with your Marqeta representative so we can provide information that's more specific to your card program.

pb-cons
New Contributor III

Thanks @bmo that all makes sense.

I was specifically asking about using ACH to fund individual cardholder accounts but I see that wasn't very clear from my original question.